Monday, August 9, 2010

Bau wangi ke?

It was 8.45am, and I was hurrying towards the stairs leading to my office. I pass through the ladies, and instantly saw the yellow “WET” sign. Better be careful, I made a mental note. Then I saw the lady janitor. I smiled sheepishly to her and continued walking until suddenly she said :

“Bau wangi ke?” Are you smelling the nice scent?

I was caught offguard. Totally off that it made me said “Huh?!” quite loud. I was pretty uncomfortable to say “Huh” to another person, as my mom made me not to, long.. long time ago, but that’s another story. So, I checked myself and asked her again :

“Ape dia, makcik?” What did you say, makcik?

“Bau wangi ke?” Are you smelling the nice scent? She repeats.

What an odd question, I thought. When we pass a janitor cleaning the washroom, how often do we stop and smell it? And if we do smell it, don’t we normally just keep the thought to ourselves? And to think that I was in a hurry, too. The question just kinda… inappropriate and out of place.

However, to be nice, I wanted to reply “A’ah wanginye bau toilet ni” Yes, the toilet smells nice but at the very last minute, my brain made my lips say “Ape makcik kata tadi?” What did you say just now, makcik? (Yes, my brain taking over at the very last minute is a very common occurrence although sometimes I trust my lips more).

The lady janitor starts to look at me weirdly. Dia ni tak paham2 ke aku cakap banyak kali dah ni. Maybe that’s what she is thinking, but thank god lastly she said : (at least somebody’s brain is working fine.. lol)

“Makcik kata, baru mari ke?” I said, have you just arrived?

I want to burst out loud there and then. It was a simple question that can be answered with a nod or an apologetic smile but my complicated brain made it hard to comprehend. Buat ape lah nak susah2 kan ayat yang dah sedia senang.

So, with a big grin, I replied “Yer saya lambat harini, ade hal sikit kat rumah tadi, mertua saya ada kat rumah, anak2 tak pergi rumah pengasuh duduk kat rumah aje sampai petang karang”Yes, I am late today, got something happening at home, my inlaws are here and the kids don’t have to go to the sitter, they will be staying at home until the evening”.

Luckily the janitor just cast her weird sight at me and didn’t reply “Too much info, anak oii. Aku tanya sikit aje tadi”.

Tu lah. Lain kali salah lah dengar lagi..Not sure whether I need to cry or laugh over this. Huhuhaha…

No comments: